As we get ready to welcome students in grades 3-5 back to campus, this is a reminder to parents and guardians who drive children to and from school: please practice traffic safety and driver etiquette.
It is important to note that 1st Ave. NW is one of the most popular Stay Healthy Streets in Seattle, with a significant increase in pedestrian and bike activity. Please be cautious and alert. Furthermore:
- Be mindful of neighborhood needs
- Do not block driveways. Parking too close to driveways limits neighbors’ access to their homes. It is also illegal to park within 5 feet of a driveway.
- Be mindful of keeping the air clean. Turn off engines; do not idle.
- Obey traffic laws
- Leave sufficient space between the corners/crosswalks/stop signs and your car. Parking too close to corners, crosswalks, and stop signs blocks the vision of drivers limiting their ability to see clearly the students crossing. It is also illegal to park within 30 feet of a stop sign.
- Observe the speed limit.
- Make sure that you are parked legally.
- Review the Welcome Back Traffic Map and follow the guidelines, especially during drop off and pick up.
- Please do not congregate after drop off or pick up.
- In order to physical distance and stagger arrivals and departure, please observe your child’s designated drop-off and pick-up time.