Welcome back, St. John Families! With all students back on campus, 1st Ave. NW designated as a permanent Stay Healthy Street, and the ongoing construction on the corner of N. 79th St. and Greenwood Ave., we ask that parents and guardians follow the traffic guidelines that keep our students and neighbors safe. Be cautious and alert, and if someone unfamiliar with our routines is picking up your child, please provide them with the necessary background information. Furthermore:
- Review the Welcome Back Traffic Map and follow the guidelines, especially during drop-off and pick-up.
- Do not park in the Greenwood Elementary School bus zone on 1st Ave. NW and NW 80th St.
- Mind the Queue: If the northbound turn lane of Greenwood Ave. is lined with cars waiting to access 79th St., please go to the back of the northbound car line. It is a traffic hazard to wait in the southbound bike/bus lane of Greenwood Ave. And please don’t cut the line. Parents will report you.
- Respect our neighbors
- Do not block driveways. Parking too close to driveways limits neighbors’ access to their homes. It is also illegal to park within 5 feet of a driveway.
- Be mindful of keeping the air clean. Turn off engines; do not idle.
- Obey traffic laws
- Leave sufficient space between the corners/crosswalks/stop signs and your car. Parking too close to corners, crosswalks, and stop signs blocks the vision of drivers, limiting their ability to see students crossing. It is also illegal to park within 30 feet of a stop sign.
- Observe the speed limit.
- Make sure that you are parked legally.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended in the student load/unload zone (yellow painted curb on 79th St.).
Ongoing construction on the corner of N. 79th St. and Greenwood Ave. will demand patience on everyone’s part. Let’s keep traffic mishaps from occurring: leave a little earlier, drive a little slower, park a little further and follow traffic laws and current signage.