The Department of Health (DOH) provided updated guidance for PreK and K-12 schools on 8/5/2022. Below is a summary of the protocol that will be in place as teachers, staff, and students return to school. The full document from the DOH can be found here.
The school continues to communicate with Public Health – Seattle & King County and will adhere to their guidance for PreK-12 schools. Currently, King County is at a low transmission level. The school continues to employ multiple mitigation strategies keeping in mind student and staff safety. Please communicate with the COVID Response Team should you require more information.
- Masking will be optional for students, staff, and volunteers
- While masks are not required, there will be situations when the use of a well-fitting mask will be temporarily recommended (please have your student keep a mask in their backpack)
- If your student shows signs of illness during the school day, we will have them put on a mask before being sent home
- Masking and/or testing may be required for a period of time if there is a cluster of cases in a classroom/cohort
Isolation of Positive COVID Cases
- An individual who tests positive for COVID-19 is required to isolate at home for 5 full days (Day 0 is the date that symptoms started or the date of positive test)
- A student may return after 5 days of isolation if they have been fever free for 24 hours and symptoms are mostly resolved. Students are required to wear a well-fitting, high-quality mask (KN95) during days 6-10.
Reporting COVID-19 Cases and Outbreaks
- The school will continue to update the COVID Data Dashboard with information about COVID cases in real-time
- The DOH defines a suspected COVID outbreak as at least 3 cases within a specified core group
- A suspected outbreak must be reported to Public Health, and additional measures such as temporary masking and/or testing may be required
Staying Home When Sick and COVID Testing
- Students who show any signs of illness are required to stay home and should be tested for COVID-19. Report any absence to the school.
- Rapid test kits will continue to be available to students and staff