Cross Country: Help the 2021 CYO XC Champions defend our title! Registration is Open!
St. Al/John Cross Country (XC) is a proud tradition at St. Al/John. Our program is the 6-time defending CYO Cross Country champion.
Here’s a secret for new parents (and returning parents), XC is the best sport for new St. Al/John parents to meet their children’s new classmates and their parents. Please note that preschool students may participate in Cross Country practice on Monday and Friday and as well as attend meets as spectators. Preschool students must register through Teamsideline like the rest of the runners.
Practices – Practices will be held at the Lower Woodland track.* Try to park in the lots that service Lower Woodland ballparks. Please be cautious when walking through this crowded parking lot.
- Practices begin at 5:45pm and conclude at 6:45pm. It’s best to arrive at 5:30pm as we make announcements before 5:45pm.
- For pick-up, please arrive 10 minutes early, especially during inclement weather.
- To facilitate our large group of runners, the team is organized for practice as follows:
- Mondays: Grades K–3 which includes pre-K runners
- Tuesdays: Grades 4-8
- Fridays: All team practice
- Due to our busy family schedules (and Labor Day weekend), all practices are optional. Attend only the nights that fit your family schedule.
- Parents who run should come to practice ready to run. Parents who can set the pace out front and bring up the end with encouragement make practices run smoother. Bring your shoes. If you’re not a runner now, become one during this XC season.
*Subject to change based on guidance by CYO Athletics.
Uniforms – Cross Country and Track (spring) have simple uniform requirements. If you intend to participate in a meet, you will need either the XC uniform shirt available for purchase ($15) when registering for Cross Country OR a purple St. John / St. Al soccer jersey.
Race Days – XC meets take place on Sundays over three or four weekends, depending on the grade(s) in which you have children. Here’s another secret for busy families: only one race is required for runners to qualify for the championship meet. We’d love to see you at both preliminary meets and the K-3 Ribbon Run or the 4-8 Championship meet, depending on the grade of your runners.
Preliminary meets are at the end of September. Finals are the first two weekends in October. The current meet schedule has races on 9/18, 9/25, 10/2 and 10/9.
On race day, parking can be difficult. CYO asks us to be good neighbors in how and where we park.
Detailed information, including course maps and FAQS can be found here.
Soccer: Registration is Open for ALL Grades
- Grades 1-8: Registration through TeamSideline is open! Additional information, including costs, financial aid and uniforms, can be found in a previous CYO post. Space is limited so register now!
Scholarships are always available. Please contact Jonna Skokan, firstname.lastname@example.org, for a scholarship request.