The school bell is about to ring! I sincerely hope you all had many adventures with friends and family over the past two months. I enjoyed delightful conversations and chats over long walks and unhurried meals with my sisters and brothers in Ireland. Catching up on family news, discussing Brexit and the upcoming U.S. election, Irish sports news and Wimbledon tennis were constant topics as were education, school policies and teaching strategies in England and Ireland with my sisters and nieces who are teachers. I was sad to leave them all, but I have great memories to carry me through the coming year! And what a year it will be as we head into the final steps to accreditation and beyond!
Please note the following as you prepare your children, calendars, and yourselves for the 2016-2017 school year.
Bernadette O’Leary, Principal
Teacher assignments for your child will be accessible via the PowerSchool Parent Portal beginning Friday, August 19, at 4pm. To access the Parent Portal you will need to login to your family account using the username and password you created during registration. As you will be using this communication tool to monitor your child’s academic progress and for future registrations it is important to recall your login credentials and re-familiarize yourself with the platform.
Classroom Supply Lists
Lists were e-mailed to families in July. I would like to personally thank parent Elaina Wheeldon for getting us set up on Amazon.com. If you are planning to do your school shopping online, consider purchasing Amazon Scrip and using Amazon Smile to support St. John School. Follow this link to the Amazon School Lists page.
- August 25 at 3:00-4:00pm: New Student and Kindergarten Open House. Students new to St. John School are invited to drop-in, meet teachers, and tour classrooms.
- August 25 at 6:30pm: PreSchool Parent Social in the school courtyard. Parents are invited to socialize and meet administrators, teachers, and assistants. This is a 21 and over event.
- August 26: Deadline to complete CYO Sports Registration for Fall Sports (Soccer, Cross Country).
- August 29, 1:00pm-2:30pm: Optional school supplies drop-off date for students and families. Stop in to say hello to your child’s teacher and drop off school supplies. This is optional for all families.
- August 30: First Day School! Students enter the building at 8:15am. Tardy bell rings at 8:20am. Coffee provided by Makeda Coffee (our neighbor around the corner) in in the Courtyard for parents. Noon dismissal on the first day.
- September 1 at 7:00pm: Curriculum Night for Grades K-5
- September 8 at 6:30pm: Curriculum Night for Grades 6-8
It’s never too early to get involved. We have some immediate volunteers opportunities.
Crispin’s Kitchen Update
The St. John kitchen contractor is making progress on the remodel in Egan Hall. Unfortunately, as anyone who has done a major kitchen remodel – especially in a building over 50 years old, we have run into a few unforeseen things that have set back our timeline, which then also delays in permitting – as the scopes of the jobs change in process. Consequentially Crispin’s Kitchen will not be open by the first day of school.
We are expecting that the dining area of Egan Hall will remain open to students as the remodel continues. Once Crispin’s Kitchen is complete, the parish school will be able to share details of the proposed hot lunch program.
The parish school is excited to report near completion of the seating area, lighting, and landscaping outside Egan Hall this will complete our the 2015 Fund-a-need project.
School Office Hours
Office hours are 9am-3pm through Friday, August 26. The office will be open from 8am-4pm Monday through Friday beginning Monday, August 29.