Notes from past Parent Association, Education Nights – Link here.
PARENT ASSOCIATION NEEDS YOU!!!
- LINK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THESE OPPORTUNITIES, AND MORE!
- Classroom parents
- Classroom Hospitality
- Classroom Auction
- or join the Leadership Team
The stated mission of Parent Association is “to facilitate, encourage and ensure ongoing community building by providing activities, events, and service to the parish school. Parent Association is a vehicle supporting communication between home and school, offering a mechanism for education and serving as a structure for political action when needed.” This will be accomplished in accordance with the policies of the Archdiocese of Seattle and the goals of this parish in collaboration with the Pastor and Principal.
All parents of students attending St. John School are members of Parent Association. Parent Association collaborates with the school and parish to ensure ongoing community building by providing activities, events, and service opportunities. This year’s PA agenda is filled with educational opportunities and family-friendly events that encourage socializing, collaborating, and serving others. Our 2017-2018 calendar is (mostly) set. Here’s a snapshot:
- Back to School Lunch for the Faculty and Staff (August)
- Back to School Tailgate and Carnival (September)
- Families Help the Homeless Night (November)
- Father/Daughter Dance (February)
- Parent Education with Julie Metzger (March)
- Mother/Son Scavenger Hunt (Date TBD)
- Parent’s Night Out – or In – Your Choice (Dates TBD)
Parent Association has worked with school administration to more clearly define the volunteer structures at the school and classroom level. We have streamlined the classroom volunteer leadership team and the avenues of communication. We hope you like these changes and that they bring a new sense of energy to this special organization. After all, it’s yours!
Join the Parent Association Leadership Team!
Come be part of the new PA Team. Sound fun? We think so, but we need your help! We are looking for one representative from each class (that means 2 per grade) to build our team. We recognize that no one wants to sign up for a job that’s unclear so we’ve done our best to outline the responsibilities of this role. The job isn’t huge, but is does require some off-hour (but, fun) commitments. As class PA Rep you’ll be responsible for:
- Supporting, Attending some, not all PA sponsored events (3-8 per year)
- Organizing a grade-specific parent social (Ex: Mom’s night out, Breakfast dates, Christmas Cocktail Party, etc.).
- Attending a monthly PA Meeting. Meeting will focus primarily on event planning with a short period of time dedicated to any relevant school business. All information that can be communicated via email will be. *All PA meetings will take place at 8:30 – 9:30am on the 2nd Friday of each month except for November (Veterans Day) & February.
- Communicating – with the support of the PA Chair – PA business to Classroom Parent
Want to be part of the classroom leadership team in another way? Check out these opportunities:
- Classroom Parent: The Room Parent’s primary roles are that of teacher liaison, parent communications, and volunteer team leader. The room parent will meet with their classroom teacher within the first two weeks of the school year to identify the needs of their particular teacher. Since every teacher is different this role will vary from classroom to classroom. Some teachers may desire regular in-classroom support with student work, bulletin boards, special projects, etc. Others may ask for support solely on an as-needed basis. The Room Parent will be the primary point of contact for the teacher. They will also act as Chair of the classroom support team (Hospitality, Auction, PA rep), ensuring all roles are supported and fulfilled, and manage all communications (emails, sign-up genius, etc.)
- Classroom Hospitality Chair: The classroom Hospitality Chair is responsible for managing the annual grade sponsored teacher luncheon, the grade sponsored Parish Soup Supper, the grade sponsored post-mass coffee & donuts and grade specific special events (Ex: K graduation, 8th grade parent celebration) in partnership with fellow grade level Hospitality Chair. The Hospitality Chairs can choose to manage/host events themselves and/or secure volunteers. This person is also responsible for classroom teacher appreciation day (flowers) and classroom teacher gifts including collecting $, cards, etc. (Christmas, end of year, and birthday) for their class.
*This role reports to Room Parent.
- Classroom Auction Liaison: The classroom Auction Liaison is responsible for procurement of one class sponsored auction item. Additionally, the Auction Liaison is responsible for managing the class auction art project by either leading the project or securing an art lead. This person will partner with the school Auction team to support all auction efforts including education, marketing, and procurement. *This role reports to Room Parent and Auction Chair.
Sign ups for these positions will be sent out the week of August 21, along with instructions to access your child’s classroom assignment and place hot lunch orders.
Questions? Ideas? Concerns? Email us at: